|Subscribe to the Live Smart Newsletter! Learn More|
Portable generator use: Be aware of carbon monoxide danger
Return to VectrenLiveSmart.com Home
Portable generators are gas or diesel-powered devices that provide temporary or remote electric power.
Often used following weather-related emergencies, portable generators are great tools for providing short-term power, but they can be hazardous if not used correctly.
When used within a confined space, portable generators can produce high levels of carbon monoxide within minutes even though you can’t see or smell the gas. This can lead to carbon monoxide poisoning, which is a potentially serious medical condition that can result in loss of human life.
To lower your risk of carbon monoxide poisoning, follow the manufacturer’s instructions and always remember to use portable generators outdoors away from doors, windows and vents. Never use generators in your home, garage, basement, crawl space or other enclosed area even if you have ventilation.
Vectren does not endorse any particular product or wholesaler.